The Small Business Advisory Task Force (SBATF) was established in 2018 to facilitate feedback and recommendations to the City regarding proposed changes to policies affecting small business growth, such as procurement and other key items.
The small business community’s feedback allows the City to update and/or adjust its current policies, processes, and programs to best meet the needs of small businesses. The SBATF advises Vice Mayor Chappie Jones, and he in turn conveys the Task Force’s feedback and policy recommendations to the City Council and Mayor. In addition, SBATF also provides a forum in which small business representatives discuss, share, and learn about mutual items of interest in relation to City operations, policy, and programs that they in turn share with their membership businesses.
The Small Business Advisory Task Force is made up of nine voting members representing chambers of commerce, non-profits that provide small business services, and small business owners registered and located in the City of San Jose. Designated representatives may appoint an alternate representative and are allowed the same voting privileges at any of the task force meetings. Election of Officers occurs annually in October and November. Associate Members are non-voting representatives that attend, participate and contribute at task force meetings.
Task Force Members & Alternates
District 1, City of San Jose
Vice Mayor Chappie Jones, Chair
Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Silicon Valley
Dennis King, Vice Chair
Lourdes Arvizu, Alternate
Fil-Am Chamber of Commerce Silicon Valley
Allie Lopez, Member
Marinel Messersmith, Alternate
Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
Ron Gardner, Member
Ray Mueller, Alternate
Silicon Valley Chinese Technology & Business Association
Helen Wang, Member
Khanh Hoang, Alternate
Silicon Valley Black Chamber of Commerce
Carl Davis Jr., Member
Wilbur Jackson, Alternate
Silicon Valley Organization
Mason Fong, Member
Eddie Truong, Alternate
Silicon Valley Vietnamese American Chamber of Commerce
Nancy Kieu Nga Avila, Member
Alan Nguyen, Alternate
Winchester Business Association, Member-at-Large
Ken Kelly, Member
Taiwanese American Chamber of Commerce
Vietnamese American Chamber of Commerce
Raania Mohsen, Deputy Chief of Staff, District 1
- Taskforce Appointment: invitation by District 1.
- Meeting Cycle:
- One meeting per month, 2nd Thursday’s, 4 pm;
- The voting membership may decide by majority vote to replace a meeting with an event at their discretion or cancel a meeting.
- Meeting duration: one hour per meeting.
- Agendas: published at least three days prior to meeting.
- Meeting Notes/ Minutes: Meeting notes are optional. If any notes are sent to Task Force members, copies will be distributed within one week.
- All meetings are open to the public.
2020 Schedule of Meetings
2020 Agenda & Minutes
- January 24, 2019 Agenda
- No meeting in February
- March 14, 2019 Agenda
- March 14, 2019 Minutes
- April 11, 2019: Agenda
- April 11, 2019 Minutes
- May 9, 2019 Agenda
- May 9, 2019 Minutes
- June 13, 2019 Agenda
- June 13, 2019 Minutes
- August 15, 2019 Agenda
- August 15, 2019 Minutes
- September 19, 2019 Agenda
- September 19, 2019 Minutes
- October 10, 2109 Agenda - Cancellation Notice
- November 12, 2019 Agenda
- November 12, 2019 Minutes
- April 23, 2018
- May 21, 2018
- June 15, 2018
- July, 30, 2018
- August 13, 2018
- September 13, 2018
- October 22, 2018
- November 19, 2018
- December 17, 2018
- Chair/Vice Mayor's Memo to Council December 2019
- SBATF Letter of Recommendations September 2019
- Chair/Vice Mayor's Memo to Council August 2019
- SBATF Report August 2018
- SBATF Memo August 2018
Work Plan 2019